Historic Speedway Races On

Back to Article
Back to Article

Historic Speedway Races On

Phillip Morris and Mike Looney battling during one of The Danville Toyota Twin 100 races at South Boston Speedway.

Grayson Eaton

Grayson Eaton

Grayson Eaton

Grayson Eaton, Writer

Students looking for some high-speed fun don’t have far to go. In March, local race track South Boston Speedway kicked off its 2019 racing season. This season marks the historic short track’s 62 season of operation.

“We have worked for over 60 years now to be the leader among NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Tracks,” Cathy Rice, general manager of South Boston Speedway, said.

The track currently hosts Late Model, Limited Sportsman, Pure Stock, and Hornet races that showcase local race drivers.

“I really like going to South Boston Speedway to watch local drivers race,” Frank McGregor, NASCAR fan, said.  “I have been attending SOBO since 1985.”

Over the years, the track formerly hosted all three of NASCAR’s National Touring Series. This includes: The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, The NASCAR Xfinity Series, and The NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series.  The last time a national series race was at South Boston Speedway was in 2003. Which was when The NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series schedule included the track.

“I would love to see one of NASCAR’s major series back at South Boston,” Brittany Reed, author of Fueled Up Blog, said. “Regardless of the series, NASCAR, not only is a sport, it is a great economic boost for the area around the track.”

Currently, South Boston Speedway showcases touring series such as: The NASCAR K&N Pro Series, The CARS Tour Late Model Series, and The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour.

Among the different series held at South Boston Speedway, The NASCAR K&N Pro Series event is Reed’s favorite.

“I really like this race, because the drivers that race in this series are young and close to my age,” Reed said.

The NASCAR K&N Pro Series contains many young drivers. They are hoping to accomplish their dream of racing in The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series.

For more information about South Boston Speedway, visit www.southbostonspeedway.com.